My Favorite Quote


"GO AS FAR AS YOU CAN SEE. WHEN YOU GO THERE YOU WILL SEE FURTHER"

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Roger Federer Quotes



"This is probably my most dominant grand slam victory and it's already my 10th in such a short period of time. I amazed myself."
-- Roger Federer on his Australian Open win.

"You can't expect yourself to be already peaking like crazy in an exhibition tournament."
-- Roger Federer on losing to Andy Roddick in the Kooyong Classic final.

"No, I'm not (disappointed). There's no reason to be because I'm on an incredible run. You always expect a loss once in a while. So when it happens, why be disappointed if I win over 90% of my matches."
-- Roger Federer after tanking against Andy Murray at Cincinnati.

"Look. There's many former players, many experts, who think they know everything. Sometimes they're right, but they can also be wrong. You can't always listen to them, especially as a player. From a former top player -- almost a legend of the game -- to hear stuff like this is obviously very disappointing. I thought I got along well with him; I probably still am, because he never told these things to my face. Next time I see him, maybe I'll say something. Or maybe he's not a man to be around for me. Because if you say stuff like this? There's professional and there's friendship, but if you cross the line too many times eventually you're going to lose your friends. That's maybe what he's doing."
-- Roger Federer on Mats Wilanders' comments that he had "no balls" when playing against Rafael Nadal.

"Reminds me a bit of me sometimes."
-- Roger Federer on Richard "Baby Fed" Gasquet.

"It could get into my mind. I could start thinking, 'I can't play against this guy, his game doesn't suit me'. I could start accepting the fact that I have been losing against him, but that would be a bad thing for me to do."
-- Roger Federer on Rafael Nadal.

"Sorry."
-- Mirka Vavrinec, Roger Federer's girlfriend, giving Ivan Ljubicic a hug after the Miami final.

"Watching a movie a couple of weeks ago. An American movie. I can't remember the name, but it wasn't even a sad movie. It caught me off guard. I was on an airplane."
-- Roger Federer speaking with the Miami Herald at the NASDAQ-100 Open on the last time he cried. Was it "The Pink Panther," because it was so bad and there was nowhere to go?

"I'm at the top of my game so, when I win or lose, I don't freak out...I don't think we can call it a rivalry yet. There's just to many great players around."
-- Roger Federer putting the spin on his 1-3 record against Rafael Nadal.

"With all the injury problems we have in men's tennis at the moment, I'm happy to still be standing."
-- Roger Federer entering the Australian Open.

"I was very happy when I heard she was coming back. I was hoping that one day she would take the courage to do it, and she did it, and she even won her first match which was fantastic. I think it's great for the sport and think it will do her well too, to come back and see how good she can be again because she's a great competitor and she broke all the records. I think she could do something great again."
-- Roger Federer on Swiss compatriot Martina Hingis.

"I have a very strong opinion. I'm absolutely against it. I'm against the challenge system. I'm for the way it is right now. Don't change that."
-- Roger Federer on allowing players to challenge calls using a video replay system.

"If Britain lose this tie, then they took a horrible decision."
-- Roger Federer on Brit Davis Cup captain Jeremy Bates leaving Greg Rusedski out of the first day of play in the Switzerland vs. Britain Davis Cup tie.

"I let the evening unfold. I'm the sort of guy who likes to sit in the chair and look at the wine glass."
-- Roger Federer on partying hardy the night after winning the 2005 US Open. Roger, take that lampshade off your head, you nut!

"I had a nice dinner. I let the evening unfold, flow. I like to sit in a chair with a wine glass. When I woke up, I thought, 'Why didn't I go to bed at 11?' I came back at 3 and went to bed at 5."
-- Roger Federer on celebrating with approximately 10 friends the night after winning the US Open.

"Like Ahh-nold? (Schwarzenegger) I don't think so. I'm more into, in general, helping people. Like Muhammad Ali does for the world. Think about the world not only like 'God Bless America' sort of thing but God bless the world, because we're all together. We're living on the same world, you know? And not alone. Sometimes people forget. This is why we have fights all over the world. Of course you can't stop them, but still pick an issue, maybe in the future. Of course it goes into politics a little bit. Maybe. Who knows what I'll do? But I don't really see this sort of role. I'd like to be more of an ambassador."
-- Swiss Roger Federer on whether he would ever go into politics.

"Appropriate ban. No more I could say. It's a pity people have to do this."
-- Roger Federer on Guillermo Canas' two-year ban due to doping.

"I was curious to see how people will see me this year because I haven't really been back in New York since obviously the US Open. I feel there is a buzz."
-- Roger Federer at the US Open.

"I have a great record against anybody right now, so it doesn't really matter who I play in the final. I'll be in there as the big favorite. But I play my best in the finals, in the important matches. That's why I'm number one. There's no secret...I'm not overconfident, but very confident."
-- Roger Federer after winning the first semifinal in Cincinnati.

"I know I can beat him on any surface."
-- Roger Federer, eating some of his ego after losing to Rafael Nadal in the French Open semifinals.

"Simple version for me is, umm, started bad and finished bad basically..."
-- Roger Federer summarizing his Roland Garros semifinal loss to Rafael Nadal.

"Well, you gotta find his backhand, huh?"
-- Roger Federer on the key to beating Fernando "Gonzo" Gonzalez.

"I wanted to get a rematch from the Olympics. That always plays a role in such matches. You don't just forget what happened in the previous matches against any player. And with him I have kind of a tough past -- he ruined my Olympic dreams in Athens (laughing), so it's nice."
-- Roger Federer after dropping only three games in Hamburg against Tomas Berdych, who he lost to in last year's Athens Olympics.

"The French hasn't worked out for me the last couple of years and I'll make sure that doesn't happen again."
-- Roger Federer laying down a warning regarding the upcoming French Open for 2005.

"I think the experts and me and Tony (Roche), we all know it's not his mistake if my ranking drops. Eventually it will drop. I can't stay No. 1 for 50 years, you know. We'll see what happens. But I'm not worried that he will be blamed. I'm not thinking this way."
-- Roger Federer.

"I went to Phuket already, but would love to go to Chiang Mai one day."
-- Roger Federer in Bangkok. If you can't go to Chiang Mai, may as well Phuket.

"The week before the (US Open) I gave a few interviews for CNN, USA Network, New York Times, USA Today and Sports Illustrated which had been arranged beforehand. The reason for giving these interviews is not only because working with the media is just part of the job, it is much more my desire to contribute to the promotion of tennis in the U.S."
-- Roger Federer writing in his on-line diary. Which he lets us read. Thanks Roger.

"The nicer the point, the more -- the better I feel, the more excited I get. But I never play that my opponent looks stupid. I think that is wrong. I have too much respect for every opponent I play."
-- Roger Federer on his shot selection.

"For me, I'm in the driver's seat; I'm No. 1 in the world. I've won the last couple of meetings, and I've won the big tournaments lately. Whoever comes, I'll try to beat him. But it's almost up to me to decide who's my rival, isn't it?"
-- Roger Federer, who says he'll decide whether Andy Roddick is his rival or not, thank you very much.

"The problem is not the claycourt. The problem is, you know, rather something to do with the conditions on center court. Because I've played well on Suzanne Lenglen, on the other courts. But the Chatrier court is really, really big, and I just haven't had enough play on it. Maybe I come here next year and play a week on this court, if I can, if the French Federation lets me. We'll see. I've been playing well in other tournaments, in Davis Cup on clay. So for me it's not the surface, it's rather maybe the court."
-- Roger Federer on his problems at the French Open.

"He's got a big game, definitely. He's got a very big serve. He can still improve his consistency on the serve, because I think he could have a great serve. He returns well. He has his weaknesses, but there's not a weakness that stands out, especially on the grass."
-- Roger Federer, kind of praising Mardy Fish.

"I've been thinking about it some time."
-- Roger Federer on why he canned coach Peter Lundgren.

"When I was 12 years old, I was just horrible. My parents were ashamed to watch my matches. I would play on a court at the local club and they would watch from the balcony. They would scream, 'Be quiet' to me and I would scream back, 'Go and have a drink. Leave me alone.' Then we would drive home in a very quiet car. No one speaking to each other."
-- Roger Federer on his Johnny Mac-like junior days in tennis.

"After the Wimbledon victory and a well-played Montreal tournament, I am extremely motivated. I got to New York early, just like in Wimbledon, and I will do everything to be optimally prepared. My main goal is to play well at the US Open, and if the No. 1 comes with the result, great."
-- Roger Federer on his US Open prep.

"I think mentally and physically, I can change a match now. Before, it was more just because maybe little lucky, you know. But now I feel like I can really do it and turn around matches by hanging in there. This is also why I turned around this match today and I turned around the finals last week, you know, two days ago, three days ago." -- The increasingly-confident Roger Federer after his opening round win in Rome, reflecting on his Munich title last week.

"I never expected this, it's amazing! If you don't lose a set it's a pretty good tournament...I won three titles this year already and it's only half way of the season. I'm very happy with this season this far." -- The amazing Roger Federer after winning in Munich.

"My goal for the end of the season was to be in the Top 10 and make the Masters (Cup)." -- Roger Federer. If you want to make the Masters Cup, I guess your goal is to be in the Top 8, dumb ass.

"No. In the States it doesn't work, so..." -- Roger Federer when asked if he brought his PlayStation to Miami. Hey Fed, they sell them here too.

"I don't play doubles often, but when I do, I tend to win a lot." -- The humble Roger Federer in Rotterdam, where he reached his third consecutive Rotterdam doubles final.

"One or two years ago, I didn't know who I was on court and I used to swear a lot. But now I've learned how to cope and can therefore win 10 matches in a row. I want to be remembered as a good player rather than an idiot on court." -- Roger Federer in Rotterdam after beating homecountry favorite Sjeng Schalken.

"My aim over the next few months is that I have a lot of points to defend in Miami and Hamburg, after that I can set my sights on No. 1." -- Roger Federer talking tough in Rotterdam.

No comments: