My Favorite Quote


"GO AS FAR AS YOU CAN SEE. WHEN YOU GO THERE YOU WILL SEE FURTHER"

Saturday, July 18, 2009

EQ reigns over IQ

Be it for newborn babies or adults, it is Emotional Intelligence that determines the way you deal with situations and emotions. EI is the oil in the big human machine.

EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE MAKES FOR BETTER WORKPLACES AND HOMES


Emotional intelligence (E.I.), or your`emotional quotient' (E.Q.) as pop quizzes like to call it, is the human empathetic ability. Whether in office poli- tics, familial manouevring, short, random interactions with strangers or more macro environmental stimuli, a natural disaster, a momentous time in political history; there is good reason to regard E.I. as the oil in the big human machine.

EI in babies :

While DNA is a sum of its parts, a child's E.I. potential is arguably unlimited. Empathy, self-awareness, emotional self-management and interpersonal skills are mostly taught by parents, belief and academic educators, family and the extended community.

Child psychologist, Dr. Anjali Chabria says, "Children learn about emotions more from observation so it is very important for parents to have a healthy E.I. Parents must increase the child's frustration tolerance; minimize negative emotions.


Don't shout at the maid in front of the child. Don't deal with employees shabbily. Deal with situations assertively." If kids have to be left in the care of a maid or day care centre then parents need to ensure that their children are around unconditionally healthy and happy people who are loving and caring.

New mummy, actress Mahima Choudhury values E.I. higher than I.Q.:

"Forraising a child. I took a conscious decision to bring up my child myself. I've never left my kid alone with the maid. If I have to go out which is very rare, I generally leave her with my mother or my husband. Bringing up a child is a wonderful experience. I don't want to miss out." Developing E.I. in children is important. Teach them to ask, `How will I feel?' and `How will others feel?' Over time, through valid discussion, this will help them act intelligently in identifying or avoiding threatening situations like bullying, child abuse or abduction.


E.I. for the young adult :


Teenagers are notorious for being aloof at best, self-destructive at worst.However, inculcating the habit of empathy will stand them in good stead. The best way to explain this to the pimplygrumpy-lump on your sofa is to tell him that E.I. will get him a date. Though suc- cess in early dating is far more reliant on external appearance and swaggering, valuable friendships, feelings of respect and love between young members of the opposite sex can only be developed with E.I.


Former actress Poonam Dhillon's children are growing up, "I want to be there when my children come home. What children learn of life comes from so many different sources today -- TV, Internet, SMS. Parents need to be around to help them identify unwanted or inappropriate information. If you are reasonably well aware and knowledgeable of your world you adapt that much better to yourenvironment." A good EQ will get your kids great jobs too. Sanjiv Kumar, VP & Head Human Resources People Group explains, "At People Interactive (I) Pvt. Ltd., the initial filtration of employees is based on IQ; subsequently, competencies and behaviors are key filtration criteria for recruiting a suitable candidate.


One essential competency/behavior is indeed the Emotional Quotient, EQ." NS Rajan, Partner, Human Capital, Ernst & Young, gauges a potential employee's E.I. by test successing how he or she has handled failure and ennui in real life situations. He says, "A person who is going to be the CEO of a company must have the inspire leadership qualities. He must confidence in others."


The manager ­ at home, at work :


Whether at home or at work, Sanjiv Kumar's thoughts on high E.I. levels are applicable,


"People with high E.I.have 5 key traits -- Optimism, Self Awareness, Empathy, Impulse Control, and Reality Testing.


These traits are crucial in managing relationships, interacting positively and making the right decisions in adverse situations.


This is what makes them true leaders." Archana Shahani, a housewife from Mumbai compares herself to her best friend Payal, "We both have two kids each. Payal went back to work one year ago. She developed a smooth support system of nannies, maids and her in-laws. Even her husband rushes home to help and everyone is happy. I don't know how she does it.


" E.I. makes for better workplaces and home-spaces. Whether handling a top team of professionals or support staff and domestic help, the way you deal with egos, emotions, crises and successes will cement or destroy what you wish to achieve. "How will I feel?" "How will others feel?" are the two sides of the coin that will buy you achievement.


Source - "Deccan chronicle"

No comments: